What is a Dietitian?

Dietitians are the only qualified health professionals that assess, diagnose and treat dietary and nutritional problems. Dietitians use the most up to date research to educate and advise patients on appropriate dietary choices in a practical way. In Ireland, dietitians must complete an accredited dietetic program as well as completed supervised clinical training before being eligible to be recognized by CORU (Irelands multi-profession health regulator) and INDI (Irish Nutrition and Dietitians Institute) . Dietitians work in a variety of areas including HSE, private practice, food industry, and corporate settings.

Do you accept insurance?

As I am a member of the Irish Nutrition and Dietetic Institute (INDI), 40% of your fees may be claimed back through your insurance depending on your plan. Most plans now offer cover for Dietitian visits usually €25/visit or up to €250 per year. Check with your own healthcare insurance provider for more details. Dietitian fees may also be included in end of year tax relief for medical expenses using a MED1 form. I do accept insurance for certain corporate employees and their families. But contact me if you have questions.

Do you do school talks?

Yes! I really enjoy interacting with children and teenagers. I truly believe health and well being are just as important as every other subject in school. I use props and visual aids to help make talks a bit more interactive. You can contact me directly for a quote. 

Do you do workshops for companies?

Yes! I regularly come into companies around Ireland and conduct fun and interactive workshops. I use food samples and recipe demos to engage employees. Generally talks and workshops last 1-2hours including time for questions.You can contact me directly for a quote.

DO YOU take students?

I unfortunately can't take students for shadowing due to liability within the clinics. I am happy to meet with transition year students or prospective dietetic students to discuss career options. Just send me an email info@tracyphelannutrition.com. 

What do you charge?

It depends on travel and work involved. Appointments range from 60-120 euro. For corporate work,  contact me directly for a quote.

How did you work in the US?

Moving to the US and working as a Dietitian was one of the best decisions I made. I am a dual-citizen therefore visa issues were not applicable but I know recent graduates are eligible for year-long working visas. In order to a registered dietitian (RD) in the US, students must complete an undergraduate or postgraduate dietetic program as well as a supervised unpaid internship. From what I hear internships are very competitive and can often be very costly. Before moving to the US, I was registered with the HPC in the UK and in the process of registering with INDI. To transfer my registration, I needed to get my qualifications verified as well as complete the RD exam. The process of getting my qualifications verified was relatively easy and the CDR were very helpful. The exam itself was a little more stressful as the US dietetic programs cover food business and food industry in more detail than typical UK/Irish dietetic programs. I purchased a study guide online and dedicated 2 months to studying before taking it. Once I passed I was eligible to join the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics. If you have any questions about the process, I am happy to help!